OUGD602: Graduation Game Plan

by Roxxie Blackham on Saturday 16 May 2015

I've been thinking more and more about what I want to do when I graduate and am finally starting to realise who I am and what I want to be doing after university!

1. Get the internship at Isabel and Helen 
http://www.isabelandhelen.com
After Isabel and Helen replied to my emails and offered me an internship at their studio in London for a month, I've become a whole lot more positive and confident with my work and abilities. For a while I was starting to believe that there really wasn't any place for me within the creative industry, but I think that my problem was not being able to really understand what it was that I wanted to do with myself! When I found out about how exciting set design can actually be, I was really happy that Isabel and Helen saw potential in my work and offered me a placement when all I asked for was a studio visit and chat with them!! I'm looking forward to graduating so that I can get back down South and closer to London, meaning that opportunities like this will be so much easier to organise and achieve. I'll definitely be travelling down to London asap to visit Isabel and Helen in their studio and get to work on organising my placement!

2. Get my driving license
Getting my license is something that I was hoping to achieve before I set off for university, however due to various things going on with organising moving up to Leeds, I couldn't find the time to book in for a test before I left which was really disappointing! However, now that my studies are coming to an end, I can finally get round to finishing off my lessons and getting that license!

3. Get a part time job
If I want to get my license sorted, I'll need a part time job. The reason that I didn't want to get a full time job is simply because I want to allow time to rest after all the stress from the last 3 years, as well as organise my portfolio and get some more self directed or client work in there.

4. Look at getting my own studio space
As I still don't want to go straight into a studio job, I think that finding my own studio space will be extremely beneficial for me. Having my own space means that I will be keeping my design life and personal life completely separate, rather than doing work in my bedroom. I want to make sure that I keep both of these things more separate when I finish uni as it's very true that there is more to life than Graphic Design, and I need to make sure that I stay happy and sane! Also, getting my own studio space will help to make self directed work feel more professional and if I look at getting a space somewhere similar to Munro House in Leeds, I'll be able to engage with other creatives and keep informed and inspired.

5. Relax and work on my personal happiness
I've had a bit of a hard time this year and definitely feel as though I should take some time to relax and rejuvenate in order to make sure that I'm a happy and positive person outside of education. I think that working on my own happiness is a definite must do when I graduate, as I don't want to end up overly stressed and aggravated from not working on personal difficulties whilst I had the time!

Leave your comment